In India, summers are very hot especially in northern parts of the country. It is very important to take proper diet in summers to keep the body cool and keep diseases like dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea etc. at bay. This article suggests food to keep you cool in summers. So include these food items in your daily diet and beat the Indian summers.
One popular food item for summer season in India is curd. Life without curd is simply – Impossible. Curd can consumed in various forms like Raita’s ( Boondi ,Onion Tomato , orange , pineapple & mixed fruit ) , chhach (buttermilk), shrikand, lassi etc. In south India people eat curd rice in summers. Curd contains proteins which keep allergies and ulcers away. Any curd based dish is effective to keep you cool in summers.
Unripe mango or kacchi kairi is very effective as it protects us from heat strokes. Aam panna is a drink made in almost every home in India during summers. Mango chutneys, murabbas and pickles complement the Indian food fabulously.
Water melon, litchis and musk melons contain high levels of water. Hence they should be consumed in bulks. Watermelon is 91% water by weight and litchi is 80 % water. You can find watermelon and litchi vendors at almost every nook and corner in India. These food will help you to beat Indian summers with ease.
Coconut water is a super drink. It has the same electrolyte concentration as in our blood and so it gets absorbed very fast. It contains a lot of beneficial vitamins and minerals. It helps in weight loss and also in maintaining healthy metabolism.
It is found in India only and looks like small, dark purple plum. It tastes sour like tamarind. A glass of kokum juice a day prevents dehydration, loss of nutrients and improves appetite. It also cleans blood.
Sattu in India is generally consumed by poor people but it has extremely good properties for your health. It is extracted from barely, wheat or gram. Mix sattu, little lemon juice drops, salt and roasted cumin powder to get a very healthy drink.
FOOD TIPS TO BEAT INDIAN SUMMERS
- Drink plenty of water and fluids so that loss of water can be compensated. Fluids like lemonade and coconut water should be consumed in more quantity as they electrolytes and hence it takes care of the mineral requirement of the body.
- Always go for light diet which can be easily digested by our body without much effort. Oily and junk food should be avoided.
- Avoid too much of tea and coffee as it contains caffeine which results in dehydration. Restrict tea and coffee to two cups a day. You can switch to green tea as it contains anti-oxides which are great help to body during summer seasons.
- Do not eat spicy, hot and extremely salty food as they are hard to digest and will have ill effects on the skin.
- Use Basil Seeds ( Sabja ), soak 1 tea spoon of basil seeds in two glass of water then after an hour drain this water and add this basil ( sabja seeds ) in chilled water with half lemon and little bit of black salt or used in cold milk also with flavour aof khus or amla .These acids help in boosting the fat burning metabolism in the body. It is also full of fibre, so keeps your stomach satisfied for longer and prevents unwanted cravings. You can add it to a bowl of yoghurt or sprinkle some in a fruit salad as a pre-meal snack to control appetite.
So now you have failry good idea of food that keep you cool in Indian summers. You need not to be afraid of the India hot summer season. Include these food items in your daily diet and you will definitely feel the difference. So have fun this summer!!!
M.Sc ( Dietetics & Nutrition)
Freelancer Fitness counsellor