Recommended First Aid for Acid Burn Patients
It is very necessary to get a first aid as soon as possible. Otherwise in worst cases the acid penetrates to the bone which could be fatal for patient’s life.
- The most important First Aid is to immediately wash affected body part of patient with plenty of fresh or saline water.
- Don’t rinse the burn area with dirty water as it can cause severe infection.
- Keep flushing the affected burn area with plenty of cool water,(not very cold) until the patient’s burning sensation starts fading. It may take 30-45 minutes.
- Remove all the jewelry or clothing which had contact with acid.
- Don’t apply any kind of cream, ointment on the affected area as it may slow the treatment procedure by doctors.
- If possible, use sterilized gauze to loosely wrap the affected area. The gauze protects the skin from air, debris, dirt and contamination.
- Rush the patient to a burn specialty hospital having isolated wards for burn patients
Also raw milk is mildly acidic, pH 6.5-6.7,Pouring milk on acid burn attacks is bad idea, like any other burn, the acid burns also should be treated by water and nothing else. Milk(alkaline) and acid reaction is exothermic ie produces more heat and may cause more damage.
Explaining the various physiological processes that occur in the body after an acid attack, the plastic surgeon said that strong detergent in the acid causes extensive damage to the cells and destroys the protein resulting in the release of break-down proteins.
The damage caused by burns by an acid attack would be far more serious than injuries sustained in a fire because acid damages the protein continuously, leaving a chance of high morbidity.
One of the first thing to do to acid attack victim is to pour chilled water continuously. Water dilutes the acid and continues to dilute it until it becomes ineffective.
Of course water is a natural and neutral liquid. Why to opt such a complex diluent like milk. Viz it also heals the same